Our department handles a variety of property questions on a daily basis. Here is a Frequently Asked Questions section with quick answers that may help you find the information you need. If you still have questions please feel free to contact a Staff Planner at (805) 461-5035.


Q: What is my Zoning or General Plan Designation?

A: The Department is pleased to bring back property information via its GIS based mapping service. You can currently search for a property by typing in an address (typing in both address, city and state). You can also zoom into the map and click on parcel specific information. This does require a high-speed internet connection for best use. If you have a specific question in regards to a lot or a property, please contact a Staff Planner at (805) 461-5035.

Q: All my neighbors' lots are smaller than mine, can I split my lot?

A: Generally speaking, most lots in Atascadero cannot be split at this time. Lot splits are dependent on the zone in which your property is in. The City has various minimum lot sizes throughout the City. If your lot is 1.6 acres in size, but the minimum lot size of your zone is 1 acre minimum, then you need at least 2 acres to split a lot, even if your neighbor's lots are smaller than 1 acre. If you have a specific question in regards to your lot or a property for sale, please contact a Staff Planner at (805) 461-5035.

Q: How many animals can I have on my property?

The maximum number of dogs or cats allowed on a property is three (3). Farm Animals are based on the amount of acreage on a property. Click this link to learn more about how many farm animals are allowed on your property. If you have specific property questions, please contact the Planning Department.

Q: What are my property setbacks?

Typical setbacks for a single family residence in a non-planned development (PUD) is 25-feet from the edge of right-of-way in the front yard; 5-feet on the sides, and 10-feet in the rear of the property. However, these can vary with the size and location of a lot. For more information on setbacks, click here. The edge of right-of-way may not be the edge of pavement. If you have a multi-family project or commercial project or want specific property setbacks please contact the Planning Department.

Q: How tall of a fence can I put up on my front yard / back yard?

Fencing standards vary based on the type of fencing, zoning district, and size of the lot. See current standards here. If you have more specific questions, please contact the Planning Department.

Q: Can I find out if there is an easement on my property or I can I obtain a map of my property?

The City normally does not keep easement information or the official "recorded" plot map of your property. You may contact the San Luis Obispo County Recorder's Office for information in regards to easements and/or plot maps of your property or visit their website

Q: Can I Build a 2nd Unit or Granny Unit/Guest House on my property and what are the fees?

Yes, you can typically build a 2nd unit on your property if you meet the following criteria:

  • If your property is on city sewer


  • If your property is on septic and more then one (1) net acre in size

The Planning Department has developed a handout with accessory structure definitions, including second units. Please click here for that handout. For an estimate of fees associated with your second units, please fill out a fee estimate form and return this to the Community Development Department. If you have specific questions for 2nd units, please contact the Planning Department.

Q: I am interested in building a home on an empty lot, what are your fees?

Please see our new residence handout or manufactured home installation handout. You can also fill out a fee estimate form with specifics of the project and return it to the Community Development Department for a fee estimate. If you have specific questions to fees and/or your proposed building site, please contact the Planning Department.

Q: There is an oak tree in my yard that I want to remove, do I need a permit for that?

Typically, single family homes with no open building permits or permits are going to be sought, that are zoned residential single family or residential suburban do not need a permit to remove an oak tree. The department has developed a handout with additional information on tree removal permits here.  For more info on native trees, visit our native tree information page here.

Category: Planning Division